One of the bedrock tenets for supporters of our industrial agriculture system — monocrop farming, large scale livestock production, reliance upon chemical fertilizers, genetic engineering and pesticides, etc.— how else are we to feed the world?
Some of the world’s most controversial foods to how did plants conquer land? Is light partly responsible for the mass die off of insects? Is this a new tool in fighting obesity? Links to some of the recent pressing issues on the web.
● How Long Before These Salmon Are Gone? ‘Maybe 20 Years’ – The New York Times ● Prehistoric Parents Used Baby Bottles Made of Pottery —The New York Times ● The World’s Oceans Are in Danger, Major Climate Change Report Warns– The New York Times ● KFC’s new fried chicken and doughnut sandwich is terrifying […]
The long lingering tragedy of America’s original sin. The EPA says no to cancer warning on RoundUp, a gazpacho soup recipe and more.
● Seeds, kale and red meat once a month – how to eat the diet that will save the world – The Guardian ● Earth’s Food Supply Is Under Threat. These Fixes Would Go a Long Way. —The New York Times ● The EAT-Lancet Commission on Food, Planet, Health (Download summary (pdf) report)– Norwegian Think […]
● Micro-naps for plants: Flicking the lights on and off can save energy without hurting indoor agriculture harvest – The Conversation ● Why is Arkansas waging war on veggie burgers? —The Guardian ● The Creepy Anglerfish Comes to Light. (Just Don’t Get Too Close- The New York Times ● Can This Ancient Greek Medicine Cure […]
● US agriculture needs a 21st-century New Deal – The Conversation ● The Role of Trees in Climate Change – Crowther Lab ● So far cultured meat has been burgers – the next big challenge is animal-free steaks- The Conversation ● In Deep Water: The Emerging Threat Of Deep Sea Mining -Greenpeace ● We must […]
● Your ‘grass-fed’ beef may not have come from a cow grazing in a pasture. Here’s why.- The Washington Post ● ‘They’re coming to you’: A man played his sax for a herd of cows, and they loved it- The Washington Post ● The Negroni Is a Century Old, but Just Hitting Its Stride – […]
Currently in the news.