Time honored recipes from those featured on Cooking Up a Story
Check out the related video story: A New Family Farmer Michael Paine is a rare breed; he doesn’t come from a farming family, and he’s relatively young. His story is a strong example of the unique challenges facing those who wish to take up farming.
- 2 lbs carrots, sliced
- 1 medium sized onion, copped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 fresh eggs
- Ground cloves
- Sauté onions in 2 Tablespoons of butter until soft.
- Add carrots and continue to cook until soft.
- Keep on medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add enough water to just cover the vegetables.
Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer.
- Add maple syrup.
- Put the soup through a food mill or mash with a potato masher until only partially mashed.
- When soup is at desired consistency, prepare 2 egg yokes by whisking them in a separate bowl.
- Temper by adding a spoonful of hot soup to the egg yolks, stir
and add another spoonful of soup to the mixture.
- Continue until the mixture is mostly soup.
Quickly add the yolks to the simmering soup, stir and take off the
- Garnish with chopped parsley, chives, and coarsely ground black pepper.
Yield: Serves 4 people
Recipe courtesy of Jill Paine of Gaining Ground Farm