Time honored recipes from those featured on Cooking Up a Story
Check out this related video story: The Grape Grower Lon Rombough, author of The Grape Grower: A Guide to Organic Viticulture shares his passion for plants and growing grapes; a lifetime of study and practice as a world renowned plant breeder and grower.
- 4 cups (approximately 1 kg) of tart seedless* grapes
- 1 1/4 cups (253 g) of sugar
- 1/3 cup (79 ml) tapioca
- Cook these ingredients together until thickened, then add
- 1 Tablespoon (15 g) of butter.
- Use this mixture as filling for a two crust (top and bottom crust) pie.
Sprinkle the top crust with sugar and bake at 400℉ (205℃) for 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
- *For this pie, D.C. would accept only a blue seedless grape from Vineland,
Ontario, “VeePie”, though “Glenora” and “Seedless Concord” will work.
- -This was the favorite of the late D.C. Paschke of North East, Pennsylvania who worked with grapes for nearly 80 years before his passing at 101 1/2. This recipe is from D.C’s daughter-in-law Shirley Paschke.
Yield: Serves 6-8 people
Recipe courtesy of Lon Rombough, The Grape Grower: A Guide to Organic Viticulture