Ben Meyer of Grain & Gristle demonstrates how to cure and smoke pork belly into homemade bacon you can store, and cook up later for enjoyment. The homemade bacon you will make will likely be better tasting than anything you may find in your supermarket.
How to Make Your Own Smoked and Cured Bacon Recipe
recipe courtesy of Ben Meyer, of Grain & Gristle
- 1 pork belly, roughly 6-7 pounds
- Spice rub: 1 part cayenne, 1 part chile flake, 1 part paprika , 1/2 part pimenton
- 3# brown sugar
- 2 cups kosher salt
- Rub bellies liberally with spice mixture.
- Layer in cure fat side down with 1/2″ of cure in between layers.
- 3 days later, flip and redress, fat side up.
- 3-4 days later rinse cure off and rack to dry for 24 hours.
- Smoke on grill, fat side up, at 170-180 for 3-5 hours. Refill chips around 3 times.
- Cool completely.