A weekly series about our food and sustainable agriculture.
Strawberry Shortcakes Recipe
These are the shortcakes we serve during berry season at Mother’s Bistro & Bar. We adapted this recipe from “An American Place” Cookbook by Larry Forgione. Recipe adapted by Lisa Schroeder.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 hard-cooked large egg yolks, mashed with a fork
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 pints strawberries, washed, hulled, and halved or sliced, depending on size
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
- Lightly butter or oil a baking sheet.
- Sift the flour, sugar and the baking powder into a bowl.
- Add the butter pieces, then using your fingertips, work the butter into the flour until the mixture is the consistency of fine crumbs or sand (it’s okay to have little pockets of butter; that will help the shortcakes be flaky).
- Add the cream and egg yolks and stir with a wooden spoon just until the dough holds together (don’t overmix or the shortcakes will be chewy).
- Turn the dough onto a floured work surface and knead just until it forms a smooth dough.
- Pat the dough to a thickness of ¾ inch (these don’t rise too much, so it’s important not to pat out too thin).
- Dip a 2 ½-or 3-inch cookie cutter into flour, then cut out rounds of dough, gathering up the dough scraps, until you have 6
- Put the rounds on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush with the melted butter. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the biscuits are light golden brown and firm to the touch.
- While the shortcakes are baking, put the strawberries in a bowl and toss them with 2 tablespoons sugar.
- In a medium bowl, whip the cream with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar until stiff.
- Stir in vanilla, cover and refrigerate.
- When the biscuits are done, remove from baking sheet and place on a rack to cool for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the shortcakes in half, so you have a top and bottom.
- Place the bottoms on plates and heap strawberries onto them, including any juices.
- Spoon whipped cream over the strawberries, and put on shortcake tops . Top again with more strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve immediately.