A weekly series about our food and sustainable agriculture.
Lauretta Jean’s Kate McMillen demonstrates how to make a chocolate cream pie using fresh made dough, and a filling made from scratch. The recipe from the video is below.
Chocolate Cream Pie recipe
Makes a 9″ pie that serves 8
Courtesy of Kate McMillen
Pie Dough Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Prepare your pie shell. Roll out your pie dough and tuck it into the pie dish.
- Freeze it for 15 minutes to firm up the butter.
- Line the frozen pie dough with parchment paper, fill it to the top with pie weights and bake it for 15 minutes. (You can use a big coffee filter in place of parchment paper)
- Remove the pie weights and prick the dough all over. Return the pie to the oven and bake for 8 more minutes.
- Brush the crust with egg white and bake one more minute.
- Let cool.
Ingredients for pie filling
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 5 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 T butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
Instructions to make the chocolate pastry cream
- Put into a large bowl the chocolates, butter and vanilla. Suspend a fine mesh sieve over the bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg yolks, cornstarch, and a dash of the whole milk until the cornstarch is no longer lumpy.
- Heat the remaining milk, sugar, and salt until it reaches a simmer.
- When hot, pour about a half cup into the egg mixture to temper the eggs, whisking the egg mix constantly.
- Pour the tempered eggs into the hot pot of milk stirring constantly until thick, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Pour the hot mixture into the bowl of chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Top with a piece of plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.
- Chill the pastry cream until cold.
- To assemble the pie, spoon in the chocolate pastry cream and top with freshly whipped cream and finely some shaved chocolate or dust with cocoa powder.