A weekly series about our food and sustainable agriculture.
Pastry chef Mary O’Rourke of The Waffle Window in Portland, Oregon shares one of her favorite holiday recipes, a cookie she used to help make as a child with her mother. The cookie has only three simple ingredients, and is gluten free. The recipe from the video is below.
Brown Sugar Pecan Macaroons recipe
Serving Size: 42 cookies
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
recipe courtesy of Mary O’Rourke
- 1 pound pecans (4 cups)
- 1 pound brown sugar (2 cups, packed)
- 3 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Chop the pecans in the food processor or with a knife until the biggest piece is about 1/16 of an inch cube. If you use the processor, do not over process. Use just the pulse button and check frequently.
- Whisk the egg whites gently, just to blend.
- Stir the brown sugar into the egg whites to dissolve, then add the pecans and blend thoroughly.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto parchment lined cookie sheets. This is important since otherwise the cookies will be impossible to remove.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until tops are evenly browned and cookie feels set.
- Remove parchment with cookies from pan and repeat until all cookies are done.
- Allow the cookies to rest on the parchment for about 10 minutes before removing with a cookie spatula. If they are sticking, let them sit on the parchment longer. Finish cooling on a rack. Store in airtight containers with layers of parchment in between.