A journey of wide discovery about our food and sustainable agriculture.
David Yudkin, of Hot Lips Soda, demonstrates how to make seasonal fruit soda, using only watermelon and fresh berries. Having developed a small family pizza chain into a successful enterprise, Yudkin decided to apply his artisan formula of sourcing local, seasonally fresh ingredients, in a similar manner toward the making of fresh fruit varieties of commercial sodas. The recipe for Berry Soda from the video is below.
Homemade Berry Soda
Serves 3-4—recipe courtesy of David Yudkin
(Use whatever berry is in season or your favorite frozen fruit)
- 1 pint berries, frozen
- 1/3 cup simple syrup
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- pinch salt
- Carbonated water (seltzer water)
- Thaw berries, if frozen.
- Combine with lemon juice and salt and puree in a small food processor or blender.
- Using cheese cloth or fine strainer, strain berry puree to remove seeds.
- Combine 1/3 simple syrup and 1/3 berry puree in a glass and mix in 8 ounces carbonated water, stir to combine.
- Garnish with mint leaf or small lemon wedge. Serve with ice in glass.