A weekly series about our food and sustainable agriculture.
David Yudkin, of Hot Lips Soda, demonstrates how to make seasonal fruit soda, using only watermelon and fresh berries. Having developed a small family pizza chain into a successful enterprise, Yudkin decided to apply his artisan formula of sourcing local, seasonally fresh ingredients, in a similar manner toward the making of fresh fruit varieties of commercial sodas. The recipe for Berry Soda from the video is below.
Homemade Berry Soda
Serves 3-4—recipe courtesy of David Yudkin
(Use whatever berry is in season or your favorite frozen fruit)
- 1 pint berries, frozen
- 1/3 cup simple syrup
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- pinch salt
- Carbonated water (seltzer water)
- Thaw berries, if frozen.
- Combine with lemon juice and salt and puree in a small food processor or blender.
- Using cheese cloth or fine strainer, strain berry puree to remove seeds.
- Combine 1/3 simple syrup and 1/3 berry puree in a glass and mix in 8 ounces carbonated water, stir to combine.
- Garnish with mint leaf or small lemon wedge. Serve with ice in glass.