A weekly series of wide discovery about our food and sustainable agriculture.
Chris Czarnecki, a 4th generation restaurateur and chef, demonstrates one of their signature dishes at The Joel Palmer House in Dayton, Oregon. He shares their secret on how to infuse beef tenderloin with the unique flavor of the fresh Oregon White Truffle. Since 2008 Chris has taken over the restaurant from his father Jack Czarnecki, and as he says in the video, this is their one dish that will always remain on the menu.
Truffles are one of nature’s mysterious foods, don’t miss tomorrow’s episode where expert truffle hunter, and truffle oil maker Chris Czarnecki, a 4th generation restaurateur and chef, demonstrates one of his signature dishes at The Joel Palmer House in Dayton, Oregon. Jack Czarnecki, takes us on a wilderness trek in search of this exotic culinary treasure.
Jack’s Beef Stroganoff with Wild Mushrooms Recipe
Instructions: Preparing the truffle infused beef
- Take a container and line it with 2 paper towels along the bottom.
- Place 48 ounces of beef in the center and add 1/2 cup of whole Oregon white truffles.
- Seal the container tightly and let sit a minimum of 6 hours, even up to 3 days, in the refrigerator.
- 1/4 cup Pinot Noir
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/2 small onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped; sweat them in 2T butter before adding into other ingredients
- 1 T Chinese oyster sauce
- 4 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 4 cups heavy cream
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups of sour cream
Sauce Instructions: Yields approximately 1 1/2 quarts of sauce.
- Add Pinot Noir, both stocks, onion, garlic, oyster sauce, porcini mushrooms, and soy sauce; mix together, simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and bring to boil. Be careful not to boil over.
- Once the heavy cream has come to a boil, you’ll thicken with corn starch slurry. While maintaining the simmer, add half of the amount of slurry, then additional as needed to reach desired thickness.
- Salt to taste.
- Add sour cream and stir until completely incorporated.
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 t chopped onion
- 1/4 t chopped thyme
- 1 t red bell pepper flakes
- 1/4 t salt
- Combine and cook in rice cooker or on stove.
- Cook the beef in the oven or on a grill to desired doneness.
- Slice into bite sized pieces and portion into bowls, over rice.
- Evenly distribute sauce over beef and rice. Serve hot.