A weekly series of wide discovery about our food and sustainable agriculture.
Chef Annie Cuggino of Veritable Quandary, demonstrates how to turn simple ingredients into an incredibly tasty salmon salad dish.
The complete recipe from this demonstration is provided below:
Salmon Gravlax and Creme Fraiche Recipes
courtesy of Annie Cuggino of Veritable Quandary
Ingredients: (creme fraiche)
1 quart of heavy cream
(makes 1 quart)
- heat heavy cream to 90 degrees
- remove from heat and stir in 1 TB buttermilk
- leave at room temperature for 24-48 hours, or until thickened
- 1 side of Salmon approx 4lb. Bones removed skin on.
- 1 lb Brown sugar
- 1/2 lb Kosher Salt
- 1/4 c whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 c fennel fronds minced
- zest of 3 lemons & 3 limes
- mix all together.
- 1 1/2 oz Absolute Citron
- splash the side of salmon with the absolute citron
- pack the salmon in the salt/sugar mixture
- wrap in cheesecloth
- weight it down lightly
- refrigerate for 24 hours
- rinse cure off with cold water
- pat dry.