See Related Recipe: Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Ingredients: Pie Dough
- 8 C. all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ Tbs. sugar
- 1 Tbs. salt
- 1 lb. very cold butter, cut in ½” chunks
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening, very cold
- 1 ¼-1 ½ C. ice water
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in large bowl. With pastry blender, cut in the butter and shortening until about half the mixture has pea-sized clumps and the remaining butter in larger chunks dispersed throughout.
- Stir in the ice water, pressing the dough against the sides of bowl with a large fork to incorporate until the dough just starts to come together, but is still shaggy with some dry bits at the bottom of the bowl.
- Divide into 8 equal portions (8.75 ounces each) and form into disks, tucking the ragged edges under to give a nice side edge.
- Wrap disks in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour before rolling. Pie dough disks can be frozen for up to 2 months and thawed the night before use.
Yield: Makes eight disks of pie dough for 9” pies
Recipe courtesy of TwoJunes, Lisa Bell and Nicole Rees