See TwoJunes related post: Homemade Ice Cream
Ice Cream Ingredients
- 1 can (14 oz.) evaporated milk
- 1 3/4 cups very cold buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 egg whites
- Combine all ingredients except egg whites and chill 30 minutes.
- Just before you get ready to make ice cream, beat the egg whites to soft peaks.
- Fold whites into chilled peach puree. (If you are cautious about raw egg whites, you can reconstitute pasteurized dried egg white. JustWhites is a good brand, usually in the baking section of the supermarket. Very rarely, it is also possible to find pasteurized raw whites in a carton in the dairy section.)
- Process according to ice cream maker directions.
Yield: Makes 1 quart of ice cream.
Cherries Jubilee Sauce
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 3 cups fresh dark, sweet cherries, pitted
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1/8 tsp. ground allspice
- Grating of fresh nutmeg
- 1 Tbs. Kirsch or other cherry liqueur
- Add cherries, sugar, spices and almond extract.
- Cook until sugar dissolves and cherries release juice, 2-3 minutes.
- Drizzle Kirsch over top of cherries.
- Remove from heat and light with match to flambe. Serve sauce over ice cream.
Yield: Makes 2 cups sauce.
Recipes courtesy of TwoJunes, Lisa Bell and Nicole Rees