Check out the video story: Eau De Vie Pear Brandy: A Personal Quest Eau De Vie, the French word meaning “water of life”, is a spirited drink produced from the distillates of fermented and mashed fruit. Steve McCarthy began a long quest to produce a world-class pear Eau De Vie, and turn it into a profitable business.
Ingredients to make pear salad:
- 2 firm ripe pears, peeled and sliced, core removed
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp light oil, corn or safflower
- Salad greens to make six salads
- 2 strips of bacon
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 pound of gorgonzola cheese
- chopped hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup Clear Creek Pear Brandy
- In a paper bag, place flour and sugar. Add pear slices a fewat a time, shaking in bag to coat, remove and add more until all are coated. Set aside on a plate.
- Fry bacon strips and remove from pan, leaving drippings
- Add oil to the bacon drippings and heat until hot, but not smoking.
- Fry the pear slices until golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside
- Remove the pan from the heat and let cool for just a minute. Very slowly and carefully, trying not to spatter, add the vinegar and sugar, pinch of pepper. Toss all of the greens into the pan with the vinegar and oil mixture, toss very quickly until just coated and quickly remove to salad plates.
- Top greens with pear slices. Sprinkle with gorgonzola cheese and chopped hazelnuts.
- Have a match standing by, pour the Clear Creek Pear Brandy into the remaining dressing in the fry pan. Ignite with a match, and pour flaming over the salads!
Yield: Serves 6 side salads, 4 substantial salads
Recipe courtesy of Steve McCarthy, Clear Creek Distillery