Check out the related video story: Dutch Oven Gathering: Dog Gone Good!
Cookout at a Dutch Oven Gathering. It’s a D.O.G., and if you have never been to one before, you’re in for a treat.
1 Chocolate cake mix, with eggs and oil (add according to box instructions)
- 1/2 cup dry baking cocoa
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 small package chocolate chips
- Whipped cream
- Mix cake mix according to the directions on the box.
- Mix “Mud” ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Spray inside of a 12″ Dutch oven with vegetable spray and pour in the cake batter.
- Pour “Mud” over the batter. Do not stir.
- Cook about 55 minutes using 12 briquettes on the top and 8 on the bottom.
- Remove lid, sprinkle the chocolate chips and nuts on top.
- Replace lid, put bottom coals on the lid and continue to bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove coals and let stand for at least 20 minutes. Serve with whipped cream.
Recipe compliments of: Don Hartley, Mt. St. Helen’s Chapter of International Dutch Oven Society