This is one of my family’s personal dessert favorites. Every year around Thanksgiving time, my mom made this homemade pecan pie from scratch using mainly simple ingredients. She did however use a good quality scotch though I’m sure a cheap alternative would work as well.
- 1¾ cups whole pecans
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ½ cup molasses
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 Tablespoons aged Scotch
- Prepared Pie Shell
- Roast pecans on a cookie sheet at 325 F for about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine butter, sugar, corn syrup, and molasses in saucepan over a low heat until the butter has melted and sugar has dissolved. Stir as needed. Set aside and allow to cool.
- When cooled, beat together eggs, salt, and vanilla. Pour into the butter/sugar mixture and stir.
- Add the scotch and blend together.
- Place pecans in the pie crust, evenly, and pour filling on top.
- Bake at 325 F for 50-60 minutes.
Yield: Serves 6-8 people.
Recipe courtesy of Mom