Catherine Schon, and her partner Tricia Butler, run Sassafras Catering. Recently, they won Best Overall Pie at the Portland Pie-Off! Soon to follow will be Tricia showing how to make one of her now-famous tomato pies: Tomato Pie But first, the crust! Watch the cooking video demonstrating how to make the pie crust: Home Made Pie Crust
- 2 1/2 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 cups ice cold water
- Add first 3 ingredients together, stir.
- Put in butter until it reaches a pea-size chunks.
- Add water.
- Mix ingredients together with hands and divide into two even balls of dough.
- Shake out some flour onto a clean surface.
- Take one of the balls of dough, slightly flatten it, and begin to roll it out evenly, into a large circle.
- Gently fold in half, then half again, and place into pie tin or plate, and unfold completely.
- Cut off excess from edges; fold under edges; press edges down gently with fork. You are now ready to fill with your filling of choice.
- Bake at 475 degrees F for 10-15 minutes, then turn temperature down to 350 degrees F until done (30-45 minutes depending on pie filling).
Yield: Makes enough for 1 double crust pie (top and bottom), or enough for 2 bottom crust pies.
Recipe courtesy of Catherine Schon, of Sassafras Catering