December 25, 2012
Veteran bartender David Shenaut from the soon to open Portland restaurant Raven and Rose, demonstrates how to make the classic Irish Coffee drink. Below is Shenaut’s recipe from the video.
Irish Coffee Recipe
Courtesy of David Shenaut
serving size: 1
- 2 oz Irish Whiskey
- 1 oz Brown Sugar Syrup (2:1)
- 4 oz French press
- top with whipped cream
- Grind enough fresh coffee beans to make a cup of coffee. I prefer using a French press.
- As the coffee brews, begin whipping the whipped cream until it is thick but not forming peaks, then set aside.
- Add 1/4 cup of cold water to 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Blend thoroughly to make a 2:1 syrup. This will make enough syrup for several Irish coffee drinks.
- Per serving: pour 2 ounces of Irish whiskey into a mug, add 1 ounce of the brown sugar syrup, pour approximately 4 ounces of hot coffee – leaving enough room at the top for the whipped cream.
- Add the whipped cream to the top. Let it float, do not stir.
Optional garnishes are whole coffee beans, cinnamon, or nutmeg.