This Phyllo Kale Bake recipe is a favorite of Backyard Farmer Donna Smith. Check out her story: Organic Foods: Backyard Agriculture. A simple idea led two women into a thriving new enterprise. Creating backyard mini-farms for homeowners who want to start growing their own fresh herbs and vegetables, but lack the time or resources to do it themselves.
- 1-2 bunches of kale
- 1 pkg of Phyllo dough
- 1/4 lb of Feta cheese
- 1 med onion
- 2 cloves of fresh chopped garlic
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1 med Tomato sliced
- Optional a squeeze of fresh lemon
- Sauté kale in 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil, and set aside.
- Sauté onion and garlic in remaining Olive Oil.
- When translucent, sauté in kale.
- In mixing bowl toss mixture with feta and squeeze of lemon.
- Prepare a 13 X 8 inch pan.
- Brush bottom with olive oil and evenly lay out kale mixture.
- Top with Phyllo dough brushing with olive oil and add another layer of kale mixture. Continue until you have between 6 & 8 layers.
- Top with sliced tomatoes and bake until golden brown at 375 for 40 – 45 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
Recipe courtesy of Backyard Farmer: Joannah Vaugh