Check out the show: Building A Bridge To Somewhere: Farm To School about a farmer that builds a bridge (metaphorically speaking) from his fields to the school lunchroom cafeterias.
Ingredients to make pickled green beans:
- 2 pounds green beans
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 heads dill or 4 teaspoon dill seed
- 2 ½ cups water
- 2 ½ cups vinegar
- ¼ cup canning salt
- Sterilize canning jars.
- Wash, trim ends and cut beans into 4-inch pieces.
- Pack beans, lengthwise, into hot pint jars, leaving ½ inch head space. To each pint, add ¼
- teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 clove garlic, and 1 dill head or 1 teaspoon dill seed.
- Combine remaining ingredients and bring to boil.
- Pour, boiling hot liquid over beans, leaving ½ inch head space. Remove air bubbles.
- Wipe jar rims.
- Adjust lids.
- Process 5 minutes in boiling water bath.
- Let beans stand for at least 2 weeks before tasting to allow the flavor to develop.
Yield: Makes 4 pint jars
Recipe courtesy of Katrina Wiest, Bend LaPine Schools Nutrition Services