Check out the related video story: Going Whole Hog
Going whole hog for world champion BBQer Mike Davis is an every day experience. A cancer survivor, Davis has made barbecue not only his life’s passion, he has made it into a highly successful career.
- 4- 1 lb 12 oz cans of baked beans
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 T BBQ rub
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Preheat oven to 275 F
- Place baked beans in baking dish.
- Fry diced bacon until done.
- Add chopped onion. Cook over medium heat until onion is soft.
- Pour off excess grease.
- Stir in rub, brown sugar (until liquefied). Add BBQ sauce.
- On low heat cook mixture an additional 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add to beans and mix in.
- Bake at 275 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
*Optional: Add 2 T diced red pepper to onion mixture as it simmers.
Recipe compliments of Mike ‘Sarge’ Davis, Whole Hog Cafè