Check out the related video story: Food Network: Community Supported Agriculture
- 4 medium to large eggplant (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped mint
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried red chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3-4 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Thickly slice regular eggplant or cut Japanese eggplant in half lengthwise. Spread on an oiled baking sheet and brush with some olive oil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400 until soft, about 20 minutes. Let eggplant cool, then cut into cubes.
- Place in salad bowl.
- Whisk some olive oil with the chopped ingredients.
- Add vinegar to taste and pour over the eggplant. Toss to coat evenly. Let stand for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- You can make a day ahead and marinate in the fridge overnight.
Recipe courtesy of Laura Masterson, 47th Avenue Farm