Check out the related video: Frikeh, Freekeh, Fereek: Green Wheat Wonder
Also related recipe: Frikeh and Albacore Salad
Instructions for Making the Frikeh:
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of the olive oil in a large caste iron fry pan (or heavy saucepan) over medium high heat.
- Add the frikeh and stir, coating the grains, and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Add the water and salt, bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the water is level with the frikeh, about 10 minutes.
- Cover and simmer over low heat until all the water is absorbed, about another 10 minutes.
- Transfer cooked frikeh into a large bowl and let cool.
Roasting the zucchini:
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Lightly oil the bottom of a large shallow cooking pan and sprinkle the rosemary over the oil.
- Take the cut quarters of zucchini and gently roll each of the 3 sides in the olive oil/rosemary, leaving to rest on one side.
- Roast each side for 8 minutes. Remove and cool.
In a bowl, whisk together remaining 2 Tablespoons of oil with vinegar and garlic.
- In a large bowl combine cooked Frikeh, roasted zucchini, chopped broccoli, and salad dressing.
- Place into a serving bowl, place cherry tomatoes on top, sprinkle almonds over all.