- 4 quarts sauerkraut
- 1 Otto’s ham hock
- 4 large potatoes
- 2 cups diced ham
- water to cover
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- Put ham hock and sauerkraut in Dutch oven or heavy soup pot.
- Cook on medium high for 2 to 3 hours.
- Add enough water during cooking to keep moist so sauerkraut does not burn.
- Dice the potatoes and add to pot. Add enough water to cover ingredients.
- Cook until potatoes are tender.
- Add ham.
- Take ham hock out to cool before dicing, then return back to soup.
- Add paprika and serve.
Yield: Serves 6-8
Recipe compliments of Gretchen Eichentopf, Otto’s Sausage Kitchen