Owner Lisa Mygrant describes the new Raven and Rose restaurant as “American farmhouse cooking with a nod to the British Isles.” Built inside an historic building, the kitchen and the bar would source ingredients as much as possible from local and sustainable sources.
Lisa Mygrant, owner of the new Raven & Rose restaurant shares her personal views on why sustainable farming is so important to her.
Portland baker, Kate McMillan, owner of Lauretta Jeans bakery, demonstrates how to make a chocolate cream pie from scratch. For those who love baking pies, there are many expert tips that McMillan provides for both novice and more experienced pie makers.
From the field of criminology to becoming a restaurateur specializing in sweet and savory pies, it’s been a circuitous path for Sarah Curtis-Fawley, but she (and her partner husband) have established their Pacific Pie Company restaurant in Portland, Oregon. The idea for the restaurant started with her husband after they moved to the States, and he began to miss his meat pies, a staple food in his native Australia. One thing led to another, and now after only a few years of being in business, their restaurant has become a success.
Restaurateur Sarah Curtis-Fawley shares the history of where the Australian meat pie originated, and it’s intended purpose. Quite an interesting surprise!
The Weekly Roundup
- Forgotten Foods Project (Slow Food UK)
- Line Cooked (The New Inquiry)
- Under the Sea (Nordic Food Lab)
- Apaches in the Kitchen: Our Chef’s Table (Apaches in the Kitchen)
- Glazed Apple Cakes with Cinnamon Sugar (Smith Bites)
- Do it yourself meal kits promise faster, more exotic dinners (Bay Area Bites)
- Clemetine Sorbet (Serious Eats)
- Food Blogging 101: How to Start (Eat the Love)
- Soft Pretzels (17 and Baking)
- Wanted: Large animal vets willing to work in rural areas (Harvest Public Media)
- Monsanto lawyer suggests new standard for suing farmers (NPR)
- Owner of organic, bankrupt Grant Farms kills thousands of chickens over starvation worries (The Coloradoan)
- Cook’s Privilege: Having the time/space/money/equipment to cook (Kitchen Mage)
- Global warming results in earliest blooms ever recorded in US (Cleveland Leader)
- New generation of butchers revive the craft (Thrash Lab)
- Lunch Hour Exhibition (NY Public Library)
- Nursing homes find local food saves money, makes residents happier, tastes better (CNS Maryland)
- Chicken and Spelt Stroopwaffels (Purple House Dirt)
- Underground Greenhouse Guide PDF (Growtest/Grow Food Not Lawns)
- A guide to cargo bikes for greener shopping and living (Mother Earth News)
- A Girl Scout cookie gets “Healthwashed” and other musings on “Nutritionism” and our kids (The Lunch Tray)
- Four tips to help a food through cancer treatments (NPR)
- So you want to farm? Brutally honest questions you need to ask yourself (University of Maine)
- World Chefs: Michael Scola makes sustainable mean something (Reuters)
- What makes a good farmers market? (Civil Eats)
- USDA finalizes new microloan program (USDA)
- Farmers are busy even when not farming (Tales of a Kansas Farm Mom)
- Wordless Recipe: Magic Shell Chocolate (Eat the Love)
- Beef & Stout Pie PDF, includes recipes (Pacific Pie Co.)