Chef Erin Andrews of KitchenCru demonstrates how to make a hearty chili using ground turkey meat, and fresh winter chard.
Encouraged by friends to start their own company, their love of urban farming, and a strong sense of community, led them to open the original Naomi’s Organic Farm Supply where they set up shop for two years, but were forced to close prematurely when they lost their lease…
Naomi Montacre, co-owner of Naomi’s Organic Farm Supply store gathers together some of her favorite books, hand tools, and expert advice to help the beginning urban gardener to grow their own food.
Rick Woodford, author of Feed Your Best Friend Better, demonstrates how to make home made dog food. There will be 2 separate videos posted on the same day and time.
After learning his dog, Jackson, was diagnosed with terminal cancer, and given only a few months to live, Rick Woodford was determined that Jackson’s remaining time was going to be as pleasant as possible, and that meant serving him better meals. He researched a dog’s nutritional needs and got creative with cooking fresh foods, all from the same wholesome ingredients that humans eat. To his (and the oncologist’s) surprise, Jackson became energized again, and his cancer went into total remission. This incredible experience eventually led Woodford to publish Feed Your Best Friend Better, a practical cookbook designed not only for sick dogs, but healthy dogs, as well.
Rick Woodford always gets asked what a dog shouldn’t eat – what he rather focus on is what they should eat. Woodford shares many different fresh foods that most dogs love – some which may surprise you!
The Weekly Roundup
- FDA Hones in on Limiting Raw Milk Camembert, Brie, Despite Absence of a Single Illness in 23 years (The Complete Patient)
Crusader journalist and food writer David Gumpert poses the simple question, if there’s no smoking gun, why has the FDA (and its Canadian health counterpart) targeted 2 varieties of raw milk soft cheese for the chopping block, and which foods will be next to follow? Gumpert argues that the real government target is raw milk, if he’s right, it may be politically the marijuana equivalent of the food world? David Gumpert’s new book Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Food Rights comes out Spring of 2013.
- BACK TO THE ROOTS – Aquaponics Update (YouTube Video)
- Jersey Giant Chicks (YouTube video)
- The Magnificent Chicken: Portraits of the Fairest Fowl(City Farmer)
- The Moop – designer chicken coop for city (SFGate)
- America’s mason jar a DIY catalyst(SFGate)
- Stories from Citizen Gardener 37 (SFC)
- 5 Recipes for a Sweet and Savory All-Chocolate Valentine’s Day Meal (TheKitchn)
- In Portland, Ore., a garden of pastry delights (LA Times)